Jun 14, 2014

SUMMER IS COMING!

Temperatures are rising, beach weather has finally arrived: summer is coming! Considering I have been in Barcelona since mid October (more than 7 months!), it felt like ages until we could jump in the ocean again. At the same time, it’s incredible how fast time actually went. I’ve been here for more than half a year… So what have I been up to all this time?
 
Finding work in Barcelona
Getting a job in Spain, in 2014, not speaking Spanish yet and, since I just graduated, barely having any work experience…. I was well aware it was going to be a HUGE challenge. Salaries are low, unemployment is (very) high… what was I getting myself into?

Fortunately, Barcelona is a very international city and there are always job opportunities for internationals. After finding an apartment and settling down, I jumped into the job search jungle (along with many, many others). I checked Glassdoor and Infojobs on a daily (almost hourly) basis, wrote cover letters like a maniac and searched the entire web with my endless list of keywords. But it seemed like there were was nothing out there for newly grads, only specialized positions and call center jobs… Sometimes, though, I found jobs that could be really interesting, but I never got a singly reply.

After what seemed like an endless search, frustration was growing and money was getting low. I needed a job, regardless of my master diploma, skills and expectations. I started working full time at a call center – part time wasn’t even an option. I spent long, long week days on the phone, and weekends looking for other jobs, a ticket to get me out of this company (its name fittingly rimed with “hell”). I was deeply unhappy with my work.

I told everyone I met I was looking for a job. Through a colleague of Chris, I got in touch with an online marketing agency where they were looking for a French speaking intern. Since last month, I am working there as a junior project manager. It was my ticket out of Hell, and into a nice international working environment; to new, valuable experience. Life is finally getting started here!

Our apartment
In love with our balcony and pretty red table and chairs! Don’t they go well together?

Slowly, our apartment is becoming more of a home. Although we fell in love with it at first sight, it was quite empty when we arrived. We regularly went to Ikea to come back with only a little table, a few plates and glasses; it was a pain in the ass to carry everything in the train and metro, but we finally got the furniture and other house items we needed. It’s still very basic (or minimalistic?) but with a couple of plants and cute balcony furniture it is starting to look a bit cozier. I am still looking for a big world map to hang above the couch (and I’d like some nice pillows, film poster frames, moooore plants…), but we’re trying to keep it simple, in case we get the moving itch again. Our neighborhood is totally fine, it has all we need but it is a little boring though. Gràcia seems tempting…

¿Hables español?
As much as I wanted to learn Spanish, it really wasn’t on my mind the first months. All I did was looking for jobs, and later I was just working and enjoying the city in the weekend. When I worked in the call center, I was surrounded with Dutch and French people; at home and with friends I spoke English and outside I heard a mix of Spanish and Catalan. Catalunya just isn’t the best place to learn Spanish. But I finally started a course! It’s three hours a week, two classes right after work. It’s not much, but still better than nothing, and it’s good to get the talking started. At my new work, I also hear a lot of Spanish on a daily basis. There’s still so much to learn, but understanding is getting better and occasionally I dare to say a word in public. Just taking it slow :)

Any summer plans?
Besides working, not really. I plan to enjoy the weekends to the fullest, especially now beach season has returned. Some things on my list:

  • Exploring beaches outside the city. Barceloneta is a nice area, but not for a relaxed beach day. Last weekend we went to Castelldefels, it was such a nice day! And since it is still in zone one,  only a short (and cheap!) metro and train ride away.

Holiday feelings on a regular Saturday.

  • Discovering new restaurants and bars. The city has so much to offer, but lately we always end up at the same places. One of our big favorites: Bitácora at Barceloneta. More on that later! There’s also a vermouth trend going on in the city, something I never had but definitely have to try.
  • Maybe, just maybe, if I can make time for it: a road trip through Spain or a long weekend in the South of France. I miiiiss France, and it is so close! And Spain has so much to offer, we’ve barely been out of the city since we moved here and it’s about time we explore this country. I don’t really have any holidays but we might want to do something like this in September. Otherwise, next year!
  • Drinking lots of cold fruit juices at La Boquería, mmmm! And making my own popsicles (LOVE having a freezer!). Already a hit: greek yogurt & red fruit and pure blended frozen pear popsicles.

Nights are getting warmer though… Last night, it was 20 degrees at its coldest! And it was already 24 degrees in the morning! Thank. God. For. Air conditioning.

That was about it. Just slowly settling down, getting used to life here. Seriously, the first three months I’d walk in a random street and I would suddenly get this strange feeling: Oh my god. I live in Barcelona. I live in Barcelona!

I think my brain finally got the hint: Yep, I live in Barcelona. And I like it.

Adeu!

No comments:

Post a Comment