Oct 17, 2014

PARTY ALL WEEK LONG: MERCÈ 2014

Five years ago, I came to Barcelona to  visit Chris and to celebrate my 19th birthday. It also happened to be the time of the Mercè festival; it was the first time I experienced a correfoc and saw the castellers in the middle of the crowd at Plaça Sant Jaume. There were free concerts everywhere, parades, light projection shows, fireworks at the beach: I couldn’t have picked a better place to celebrate my birthday. This year, I was finally there again to enjoy the biggest festival of Barcelona!

By the way, I know this post is waaay to late… but weekends are short and Barcelona is way too much fun! My apologies.

Friday night: street theater, light shows and vintage fun fair
The first night of the festival, we decided to take a look at what was happening in Parc Ciutadella. We sat down for a street theatre performance, not knowing what it was about and having very little expectations. It turned out to be surprisingly fun and original; I’ve never seen anything like it! The group was called Sirqus Alfon, they were from Sweden, and they were pretty insane. I especially loved the moment where they randomly asked a girl in the audience what her name was and where she was from (“I’m from Russia”, she answered, with a strong Rrrrussian accent and an awkard little laugh). They secretly recorded this sentence and used it in a 10 minute long song, repeating it over and over again. Hilarious!

The day after, when we passed by another performance of Sirqus Alfon

Overall there as was a very special atmosphere in the park, with the outdoor performances (the audience sitting on low wooden benches, surrounded by little lights), the crazy light installations, laser shows… There was even a vintage looking fun fair (which looked a little bit creepy in the middle of the night). It reminded me a little of the Noorderzon festival in Groningen… I miss you Groningen!





Saturday night: wine tasting festival and firework at the beach
Saturday was a good day… The weather was absolutely great, with a clear blue sky and a burning hot sun all day long. We went to the Wine tasting Festival at Arc de Triomf, where we were drinking all sorts of wine all day long. Not surprisingly, this was lots of fun. I had some really good wine, beautiful cheese snacks (goat cheese, I love you!) and a delicious blueberry cheese cake. This was a really good day…

Afterwards, we went to a the Red Ant noodle bar. The food was pretty damn good for 6/7 euros (I had salmon, coconut rice, fried onion… I told you this was a good day!). One of our friends brought his wine glass from the festival to the restaurant and demanded he got his wine served in this glass. The waitress then insisted she would clean it first and probably thought we were either very strange or drunk (both might have been true).

We ended the night at the beach with a fresh beer (mine served in one of the wine glasses we were carrying around the whole day), watching the fireworks… Yep, it was a pretty good day!

 Can you imagine a better Saturday afternoon!?  Wine Tasting Festival at Arc de Triomf

Never gets boring: watching fireworks at the beach

Sunday: castellers and correfoc
Sunday it was time for some real Catalan traditions (or madness). We got up a bit early to squeeze ourselves in the crowd at Plaça Sant Jaume and watch the Catalan human towers. It was amazing and unreal at the same time, seeing these little kids climbing all the way up, the towers dangerously shaking… One tower actually fell down! I took a picture of it without realizing it was falling. It was silent for a moment, people looked scared and a kid was even crying but luckily nobody got hurt. Still, they got back up again and it was impressive as always!






 A pile of arms and legs, when the tower fell down...

At night, it was time to put on some long pants and a sweater, I was even wearing a hoody and sunglasses (gangsta!). Why? It was time for the craziest Catalan tradition of all: the correfoc. Like I mentioned in the Gracia festival post, a correfoc is a Catalan fire run, where people dressed as devils run around with fireworks and evil looking creatures. This time, I got closer (a lot closer then I probably should have) and we had 1,5 hours of fun, dancing in the sparkling streets, while drum bands and fire spitting monsters were passing by. Once again, I insist, this is something you should experience at least once in your life!




 Please wait; fire spitting dragon creature passing by


 Bad ass...


 This dude... right after I took this picture, all I could do was hide my face against a wall, we were completely covered in fireworks for a minute.

Tuesday night: cocktails and Giants
Monday, we went back to work and skipped whatever was happening during the festival. There was so much going on that week, it’s impossible to keep up… The next day (my birthday actually, I took a day off) we went for a drink in town and watched the Giant’s parade, another Catalan tradition. This time, the giants were reaaally weird… All the pictures I took were pretty much crap (my 5 year old baby can’t take pictures in the dark) but here’s an image of what we have witnessed that night. The themes were just…. so different. Kings, princesses, Star Wars, Napoleon, giant dog head next to old women dressed like babies, giant guy in a shower and girls wearing nothing but a towel, giant nuns (one was holding the book Fifty Shades of Grey), traditional Catalan guy, giant bird head with BOOBS..!? Let me remind you this was a kid’s event. And no, we were not on drugs.

The rest of the night we spent at Sub Rosa, a little cocktail bar we found in Gótico where it was happy hour all night. Good find!

Wednesday night: tapas and (yawn) more fireworks
The last night of the festival, we went to our favorite tapas restaurant in Barceloneta, Bitácora. I don’t know why I never wrote about it, but somehow I forget to take pictures every single time (probably because I forget about everything else when I see melting goat cheese and tempura asparagus on the table). After this delicious meal, we went to Plaça Espanya to see the final fireworks. We were 15 minutes late, but we thought it was going to be an hour long anyway. But no, after 10 minutes of a fireworks and some vague Catalan video it was over! I remembered the fireworks being incredible five years ago, but this was a little disappointing and over in no time. As a result, we were standing in the middle of a HUGE crowed, metros were overcrowded and it took forever to get home. But yeah, living in Barcelona makes us spoiled, if you look at all the days we had before!



Just another week in Barcelona…

No comments:

Post a Comment