Dec 31, 2013

2013: LAST DAY

It is such a cliché, but so true: time flew by SO fast this year! It is hard to believe 2014 is only a day away. 2013 went incredibly fast, but when I think about it, a lot has happened this year. Such a year deserves a good ending. This will be our first New Year’s Eve celebration in Barcelona!

2013: THE END OF AN ERA AND A NEW BEGINNING
What actually happened in 2013?

Master of Arts
This year, I graduated and received my Master’s diploma. A great accomplishment, of course, but also an abrupt (but not too unexpected ;) ) ending to student life in Groningen, which lasted 5 years. This might sound like a long time, but it could have lasted 5(0) more years for me!

I started learning Spanish
I completed an intensive Spanish course at the University. I have to say, I really have to start learning again, even though I am surrounded with Spanish (but also Catalan!) every day. Spanish really comes in handy here, to say the least, so I better continue next year!

I got my driver’s license
I started taking driving lessons in spring, even though I wasn’t completely ready for it. I was terrified behind the wheel and I didn’t even know where the brake was at first, but somehow (how???), my instructor taught me how to drive. I managed to pass my driver’s exam right before I was heading to Spain (about a week before!), so I have been very, very lucky!

I moved to Spain
Probably the biggest event: moving to another country. A crazy event, which I did not know how to prepare, but we did it!

Moving to our new apartment in Barcelona
After a few stressful first weeks, we finally found our dream apartment in Barcelona. I still enjoy it every day!

CELEBRATING NYE IN BARCELONA – GRAPES, CAVA AND RED UNDERWEAR





A special year deserves a special ending. It will be our first NYE in Barcelona! We have friends staying with us who came all the way from Germany and Holland. We haven’t decided yet where we will be around midnight (fireworks aren’t that common with NYE in Barcelona, people usually celebrate at home), but afterwards we’re gonna head to one of the clubs at the beach.

So how do Catalans celebrate New Year’s Eve? As I have been told, you will need grapes, cava and red underwear. For good luck, you wear red underwear and eat 12 grapes, one grape with every chime of the clock at midnight. And you drink a lot of cava (=Spanish champagne) of course!

WHAT’S ON THE MENU FOR 2014?
Finding a job, obviously, but also enjoying life in Barcelona as much as possible! I am looking forward to awesome weekend trips, the first beach days, friends and family coming over… It’s gonna be a great year!


Have a great celebration and happy 2014 to everyone!!!
 
Image source grapes:

No comments:

Post a Comment